Thursday, June 26, 2008

Snuggles

I got to snuggle my boy today. Sometimes when he wakes up from a nap a bit early, if I'm quick, I can get him up and then whisk him into bed with me and he'll fall back asleep. Today was one of those days. When he was little, that was the #1 piece of advice that people gave me, "Be sure to sleep when he sleeps!" and I see no reason not to take it now, even though he's over a year and a half old. It was awesome! I LOVE snuggling him. I hardly ever get to though because normally when I lay down with him, he's too excited to have company to actually go to sleep. It didn't use to be that way - he slept in bed with us until he was 10 months old! Most people think we're crazy (ok, I'll admit it was mostly my idea - Sean thought it was cute for about three weeks and then he was over it) but I wouldn't change it if I could and I hope to do that with every kid I have! When we first brought him home from the hospital, it just seemed natural. He slept all the time anyways, only waking up to nurse and it was much more convenient to have him there. Plus I remember putting him in the Moses basket when he was a month or so old - it was on the floor next to our bed, and he looked so tiny and cold and far away down there I brought him back into bed with me! And there he stayed. He slept between us mostly and then as he got bigger and kicked more, Sean flat out refused to sleep next to him so I was in the middle and he was on the edge (he was blocked in, don't worry!). He normally sleeps right next to me, with his head on my arm and his legs all over the place. I don't know how he can take up so much room actually! But these days he's always on the go and hardly ever sits still for too long so it's nice to be able to just lay there with him, and smooch on him. I don't know what it is about a sleeping baby but there really is nothing quite as cute. And I always thought people who said this were crazy but I can just sit there and watch him sleep for hours! As much as I love him getting older and doing more fun stuff, a part of me will always wish he stayed little... when I could hold him all the time, and take every nap with him, and when all he wanted was stuff that I could give him. *sigh* I'm sure every mother feels that way though!! I think that's why I enjoy sleeping with him so much! It reminds me of when he was still a baby and lets me enjoy it just a little bit longer.

No comments: