Thursday, September 17, 2009

Maine!! Part 2

So where were we?? I think we left off at the Portland Lighthouse. After we left there, we drove about an hour to our first B&B - a beautiful 100+ year old inn called Grey Havens. The owner was a little kooky but the place was beautiful. Grey Havens is in Georgetown, Maine which is right on the water. It's near a little fishing village called Five Islands (where we had some amazing lobster!). The inn is just up the street from Reid Park, which has some of the only sand beaches in Maine. And the inn itself was bea-u-ti-ful. It was built in 1904 by the same guy who gave land for the state park, Walter Reid. He built it as an inn and in 1904 it had 26 rooms and only two bathrooms! Now things are a bit more even with 14 rooms and a bathroom in each one. Our room was on the 3rd floor with windows on three sides overlooking the bay. Mom tried to talk me into waking up to see the sunrise and while I was tempted (ha...) I never did see it. She did though and I hear it was breathtaking. You'll have to take her word for it however. Here are some pics from the second leg of our trip!

At Georgetown Pottery, on our way to Grey Havens. The watch dog who may have actually moved slower than molasses (but still managed to sneak up on Mom) and the really awesome artwork that I wanted to buy but didn't cause it was waaaay to expensive.
Grey Havens Inn. Our room was the top left one.The view from our room - eeeeek! I did a happy dance when I saw it.I had a crush on this tree. Really. I loved it and couldn't stop taking it's picture!
The view from the dock
A working lobster boat. You can tell it's a working one because of all the birds around it hoping to get a tasty morsel or two of lobster. Or of some of the fish they use for bait.
Possibly the best porch swing I've ever sat in. Easily top 3.Mom and I before heading to dinner at The OspreyView from The Osprey. Look at all those sailboats! I want one!!! My dream retirement plan includes a sailboat that I can sail around the world on. This dock was like a little slice of heaven.
My dinner - grilled scallops with some sort of citrus-y glaze and garlic mashed potatoesMom's dinner - Lobster Ravioli
Both of them were delicious!!Reid State ParkTide Pools! I guess these are kinda everywhere in Maine because of the rocky beaches but it's still pretty cool to see them. I didn't see a lot of critters living there though. Path down to Half-Mile Beach which is, oddly enough, about a half mile long. Imagine that.Mom and her ever-present binoculars. I'm not mocking btw, I was very glad she had them!!Half Mile Beach - apparently people do actually swim here even though the water is normally between 50-60'F. No thank you very much! I put my feet in and almost lost a toe to frostbite.UsI took quite a few pictures of the water crashing onto the rocks like this. It was like a sunset though, I couldn't not take pictures. The waves don't do this in Florida but I sorta wish they would. It's awesome to watch.Oooh, that's a good one!! Look how big it is!
Here we are just before leaving Grey Havens and heading Down East.... yes it really is us even though you can't see our faces. Stupid glare....

Next time - our lighthouse tour and dinner at a working lobster dock. Till then!

b

No comments: